[meteorite-list] Iron Stability

From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 7 11:24:57 2006

No matter how you slice it, all irons have some porosity. Some irons
have more porosity than others.

Oxygen gets in there along with water. Unless you pull a vacuum on it,
you leave that Oxy and water to rust. If you seal it without treatment,
you leave the Oxy and water to form oxide. If your lucky it consumes up
the oxy without breaking the surface. If your not, you get the ugly
Nantan effect.

McCartney Taylor, IMCA 2760