[meteorite-list] NEW photos of the silicated iron. Must see!

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Nov 10 15:29:24 2006

In a message dated 11/10/2006 1:17:31 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
thebigcollector_at_msn.com writes:
Hello Mike and list,

Mike noted, "By the way, the crystals are confirmed to be Chromium
Diposide, found in only 4 meteorites in the world!"

That is a cool looking meteorite. I was wondering on the chromium aspect. I
know some of you are better geology people then me, but wouldn't that be an
emerald?

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
Kansas Meteorite Society, Board Member
IMCA, Board Member - Treasurer
www.meteoritearticles.com

No, it is not.
An emerald is a beryl with only traces of chromium, usually formed in coarse
granites.
(and my favorite gem!)

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com