[meteorite-list] Alien red rain not in Spain

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 15 04:22:35 2006

Alien Rain Grrrr!!! Don't get me started!!

Last night on BBC 2 (uk) a program called Horizon was shown, it was all
about whether we are descended from aliens (i.e. panspermia). It
featured Prof Godfey Louis and Prof Chandra Wickramasinghe and the now
famous 'Red rain'.

I have to say I have never seen such a biased TV program in my life, it
was ridiculous. The only real counter argument was from someone who they
made to look stupid, by dodgey camera work.

Frankly it made me really angry. They just slid in the little fact that
they have now found DNA in the red rain but it was basically buried
under all the 'Alien hype'. HELLO THERES DNA this probably means it's
terrestrial!!! Wake up - Idiots.

Red rain is Algal the algae experts know it very well (it's documented),
but conveniently the makers of this program decided to overlook this and
insinuated that the only real counter argument was the 'bat blood
theory' (which of course is equally ridiculous). They even dredged up
the one about Bugs in Murchison!! C'mon, you can't buy a slice on ebay
and snap it in half then be supprised when you see bugs in it - its
called 'contamination' - get used to it.

I am writing to the broadcasting standards authority about this program,
it was imho verging on being a biased and almost a fabricated
documentary!! No proper perspective was given.

It's disappointing that millions of people will now have the false
impression that life probably came from space, when there is a
ridiculous amount of evidence that we evolved right here on Earth from
scratch, and NONE so far to say w,e (the seeds of life) arrived from
space, you still have the argument where did life start in space? Surley
it makes more sense to evolve life in a cosy earth like atmosphere with
all the basic ingredients at hand, than in the hostile hell that is
outer space?? Acoms razor and all that.

Is it me or does this Panspermia debate have over tones of religion to
it? They want to believe it so much that they start to only see what
they want to see. I have no problem with their being other life out
there, but !!!

{Rant off}

Mark