[meteorite-list] 'red rain'

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:13:25 -0800 (PST)

WARNING! This e-mail, though including opinions and
having some scientific and meteorite based content, is
mostly designed to entertain.
Unless you like TV shows like Pop Idol, X-Factor and
Big Brother. In which case it is designed to offend,
but you're probably too dumb to notice..or read.

Dave Harris' comment about the dangers of TV pandering
to the lowest common denominator are well said. I used
to blame TV for a lot of stuff but we've had TV for a
long time now and it's only recently that things have
gotten really bad..or maybe I'm too young to remember.

UK TV documentary series in the UK have long been in
decline and only rarely offer a good insight. Panorama
has long been dubbed Paranoia by the BBC crew who make
it. Seldom does it contain anything which is not
tabloid claptrap, exaggeration, bias or misleading. If
I want that I buy the Daily Express. It's only 25p and
has Calvin & Hobbes and Dilbert cartoons.

Horizon has lost much of its past reputation and seems
aimed at a lower and lower intelectual level each
year. Sadly, they seem to struggle to keep pace with
the declining IQ, or we'd stop watching it altogether.
I just worry that with the dumbing down of
documentaries, is the stuff that I'm watching to learn
new stuff I didn't know as dumbed down as the stuff I
already know? Why do they do this?

I suspect its because MTV rather than TV. The MTV
generation cannot concentrate for more than 5 minutes
on anyth....

...hey look, I just got a letter from Mike
Farmer...Cool, my Murchison has arrived. Must give
provide feedback on ebay....

...where was I?

As the human population expands, I deeply suspect the
human intellect is being diluted. Documentaries cannot
be pitched at the level they once were. They used to
make them at a level of "HEY MATE! IF YOU DON'T
UNDERSTAND WHAT WE'RE ON ABOUT YOU'LL EITHER FIND OUT
OR YOU'RE TOO DUMB, GET OVER IT"

Now a TV network could get sued for discrimination if
they did this. We used to accept there were things we
just weren't clever enouh to know. Now we have to make
every Tom Dick and 'Ari think they know all wot iz
kewl. NNNNGGGHHH! Infuriation rising...

As for Panspermia. This is all Fred Hoyle's fault.
This is the same guy who believed in Steady State
theory. If Murchison (hey did I mention I got a nice
piece of that today from...yes I did) hadn't turned up
amino acids when it did, the whole idea may have died
the death it should have

All the theories need to be tested and until then they
are all bunk in light of the fact Dave Harris pointed
out. "Earth is quite capable of providing the
materials for and supporting life without help"
thankyouverymuch.

Maybe life is unique here. Maybe it's very difficult
to make. Hypothesis which will be proven or disproven
in 2 ways

1: We make artificial life in a laboratory on Earth.
(Some may argue that Pop Idol, X-Factor and Big
Brother already do this)

2: We collect non-terrestrial living material from
other planets, moons or other solar systems

Though I will accept 2 and a half if you insist on

2.5: We pick up an alien broadcast (SETI). I postulate
that if the alien broadcast turns out to be
"V-Factor"...(remember the series about aliens called
'V'?)...then it may be considered proof of life but
not intelligent life...it should certainly be covered
up....hmmm I wonder if thats where Pete Waterman got
the idea from.....no,no,no

Alright, In light of the dumbing down of society, I am
willing to accept that these 2.5 factors may not be
enough to prove that extra-terrestrial life or
panspermia is possible. We need a 4th way

If you think Earth was seeded by Panspermia and that
these alien broadcasts are proof of alien life then

TEXT "ET OK" to 888001
or phone
08889 889001

If you think Earth was NOT seeded by Panspermia and
that these alien broadcasts are fake then

TEXT "ET NO WAY" to 888002
or phone
08889 889002

(Calls cost ?5:00 per minute, max call duration, 47
years. Texts cost ?5:00 plus norma network provider
charge)

This silly exercise is to point out the idiocy of a
corporation who can put out a documentary and then ask
people to vote on it.

I mean, that'd be like a bunch of scientists deciding
what classifies a planet, not by scientific critera
but by vote. I mean, how absurd is that as an
example...ohh, right....IAU...Pluto....

Just trying to brighten your day. Hope you enjoyed. If
not, next time take the warning seriously.

Rob McC

PS. I really did get a new Murchison today. Chuffed to
bits with it. The first thing I did with it was smell
it. I'd heard so many great things but sadly mine is
inert on the nasal front

Sponsored Link

$420k for $1,399/mo.
Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre