[meteorite-list] ID cards

From: Martin Horejsi <accretiondesk_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:26:25 -0700

Hi All,

David does make a good point. However, I believe it is the quality of
the specimen, not the thickness of the card, that makes a good
meteoritical addition to a collection. I know that is not what David
meant, but I believe that many of today's computer-printed cards are
light years ahead of the stack of receipts I have as specimen lables
from even five years ago.

Personally, I think the flimsiest ID cards I've ever received were
from Nininger's American Meteorite Museum, followed closely by Ward's,
the American Meteorite Lab, and the Chicago Field Museum, among
others. The smallest were from the Swiss Meteorite Lab (about 2cm
square) and the early Mile High Meteorites. The largest were from
Blaine Reed, but rarely did they identify any specific piece of the
described meteorite (but they were on cardstock).

For some examples, please see:
http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2002/October/Accretion_Desk.htm

Personally, I insert all cards into the same protective plastic covers
and sleeves that are used to preserve baseball cards. Then file them
alphabetically in air-tight storage containers.

Cheers,

Martin