[meteorite-list] LEONID'S MORE HOPE FOR COLLECTORS

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:14:11 -0700

Rob-

I agree that meteor showers may be able to produce meteorites. A few
showers are of asteroidal origin (the Geminids being the largest), and
cometary material may indeed be sturdy enough to make it to the ground
(something like CCs, for instance). Evidence from recent comet probes
suggests a wide range of material strengths.

One fireball I've analyzed in great depth had a parent body orbit
intriguingly similar to Comet Biela, the parent body of the Andromedids.
This is a low velocity shower which has a very broad debris stream due
to the breakup of Biela around 1846. Although no meteorites have been
recovered, the characteristics of the fireball were such that meteorite
production seems likely. The light curve suggests that the meteoroid had
a high porosity (similar to Tagish Lake).

That said, I think it's safe to say that no Leonid is ever going to make
it close to the ground. The debris stream is generally thought to
consist almost entirely of small particles, a few centimeters at most,
and we encounter it at an impressive 72 km/s. There's simply no way that
particles like that are going to fail to burn up at high altitude.

It is certain that even if meteor showers can potentially produce
meteorites, that would be a very rare event. No shower reasonably
provides an opportunity to go hunt meteorites.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com