[meteorite-list] How I Found My New Comet (C/2006 T1 Levy)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 5 14:11:18 2006

Hi, Everybody,

    Visually finding a comet, these days, is always news.
Wonderful and difficult thing. Today most comets are
found photographically or from satellite images.

    Still, very few of us will ever see a comet that won't
get brighter than 10th or 11th magnitude. But if you want
to actually SEE a comet, there's fine bright one on
display right now!

    If you don't mind getting up at 4:00 am, have a pair
of binoculars or even a small telescope (or have really
dark skies and good eyeballs), and have a clear view
of the NE horizon, you're in luck!

    Comet C/2006 M4 (SWAN) is about to hit a magnitude
peak of nearly 6.0 in a few days. It's very pretty, with a
nice visible tail. It made the turn around the Sun on Sept.
29 and is heading out, probably out of the solar system
forever. (I'm not being hyperbolic; it is.)

    It's been a performer. Many predicted there would
be nothing much left of it after its sun-bathing episode.
Instead, it has brightened beyond expectation.

    It was photographed by satellite (NASA's Solar Wind
ANisotropies, or SWAN) on June 20th and found there
in that imagery on July 13 by The List's own Rob Matson
(OK, and some guy in Australia, too), but "imagery"
discoverers don't get their comets named after them.
Me, I think a discovery is a discovery, but... Maybe
he's over-compensating; Rob found five more comets
in September.

    Here's a nice picture of C/2006 M4:
The page has links to star maps and other information.

    See, I said it was pretty.

    It's moving away from the hindmost rear paw of the
Great Bear (or Big Dipper) and is racing away under the
little Hunting Dog (Canes Venatici), getting closer to the
NE horizon all the time, even as it gets brighter.

    Catch it while you can!

Sterling K. Webb