[meteorite-list] Murchison Price Difference

From: Matthias Bärmann <majbaermann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 5 19:51:37 2006

Hello Doug , -

You wrote: "Meteorites are a recyclable resource ... you can cultivate and
prune and they do multiply..."

That's a nice concept indeed. With my inner eyes I can see a pretty garden
with meteorite-beds. In springtime you only have to put the little
micromounts in the earth, give them a few dips for developing regmaglypts,
yes, do some pruning work (for orientation) and, not to forget: they need a
good amount of water each day, early in the morning and in the late
afternoon. Especially the irons. The result?

You also wrote: "Meteorites don't die"

I'm sure: they will be as dead as mutton in a few weeks, at least months.

With other words: it may not be a main aspect, but we must not neglect the
loss of meteoritical material through rust (not only the irons), erosion,
wrong treatment etc. Each slice one cuts, each process of abrading,
(re-)polishing,(re-)etching etc. means to loose material. Not so much in
the single case. But in addition? Anyway, we have to book it under "debit".

By the way: "Cultivating the meteorite-garden" would be a perfect subject
for comic-artist Mark Bostick (I remember with pleasure his "Hunting
Meteorites in a Perfect World" :-) ...

Kind regards,

Matthias