[meteorite-list] official fall since 2004

From: meteoriteplaya_at_comcast.net <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 6 15:00:31 2006

Hi Stefan
Thanks to Jeff Grossman's DB it is easy to look up all the recent falls. You are
correct that there are no official falls from 2005. My guess based on past
history there will be 3-4 that will be added in the future. Here is a list of
all the official and unofficial meteorites from 2004-present.

Official list from 2004
Jan 4 Villabeto de la Pena
Nov 8 Orlando
Nov 22 Benguerir

Unofficial list from 2004 all "possible" falls;
June 12 "Auckland" New Zealand 1.3 kg stone
   http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_national_story_skin/430438%3Fformat=html
Oct 4 "Berthoud" Colorado 960 g stone
   http://imca.repetti.net/metinfo/metadventures/berthoud.html
Oct 29 "Kaprada" India 1 kg stone
   http://www.spacerocksinc.com/March21.html

Official list from 2005
NONE

Unofficial list from 2005
6/25 Bhuka India 2.5 kg Iron
   http://www.iisc.ernet.in/currsci/sep102005/741.pdf

Official list from 2006
7/14 Moss

Unofficial list from 2006
7/31 "Gujarat" India approx 500 grams Stone
   http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1879050.cms
   http://www.gsi.gov.in/metgujfl.pdf

8/29 "Kanvarpura" India 6.8 kg iron
   http://www.hindu.com/2006/09/06/stories/2006090600281500.htm
   http://indianexpress.com/story/12032.html

My guess is that I missed some. If you know of any let me know and I will add them.
Curiously 4 of the 6 unofficial meteorites are from India. Even more strange both Kanvarpura and Bhuka are from the state of Rajasthan. Also both Kaprada, Gujarat are from the state of Gujarat which borders Rajasthan! Gujarat is about the size of South Dakota & slightly smaller than Belarus though a much denser population (50.6 million vs 0.776 million & 10.3 million). Rajasthan is slightly larger than New Mexico and Finland with a much larger population (56.5 million vs 1.93 million & 5.1 million). Interestingly only two falls have been recorded in the US and Europe in that same time period. Both with much larger areas and populations. Guess I better move to India if I want to recover a fresh fall.

Mike
--
Mike Jensen
Jensen Meteorites