[meteorite-list] Anyone out there hunting the possible Coloradofall?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 8 16:09:31 2006

It isn't so much a question of where "it" fell as it is of where "they"
fell. This event was basically a Peekskill clone, with debris
fragmenting off for 75 or 100 miles. I've updated my report at
http://www.cloudbait.com/science/fireball20061001.html to include a more
accurate ground path, including details of what was falling off where.
I've also listed some likely places to look, but as you note, the
possible area is huge.

I'd very roughly estimate the parent size to be on the order of 50 cm
diameter, with a mass of several tons. That's quite sufficient to
produce several kilograms of meteorites, especially given the extremely
low speed (13.5 km/s) and virtually horizontal trajectory.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com