[meteorite-list] Holbrook?

From: Dr. Svend Buhl <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Oct 9 17:38:25 2006

Hi Michael and others,

there is little doubt the drawing from La Domenica Del
Corriere, October 6th 1946 refers to the Hoolbrook fall.
While researching the origin of this cover I came across an
article of an Italian encyclopedia that was very popular in the fourties as
I was told. The article cited a couple of eyewittnesses mentioned many near
misses and also said that a mail coach was hit or almost hit by one of the
stones. I believe that this was the source of the artist, the rest is
imagination.

The Text below the drawing however does not mention the Name
Hoolbrook. Though it does say the incident happened 'su un paese
dell'Arizona'.
My Italian is not as good as Matteo's but I guess that means 'in a village
in Arizona'.
Please correct me, if I'am wrong. It was common practise in Italian sunday
papers
  (and in all other countrie's newspapers in the days before the digital
revolution)
to bring stories that happened years or decades ago.

Best wishes

Svend

www.niger-meteorite-recon.de