[meteorite-list] Venus May Have Once Had A Moon

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 11 03:23:30 2006

Hi, All,

    Wow! Radical new theory... Not! This
simulation takes two Big Hits to get rid of
Venus' Moon(s) and slow the planet to a
rotational crawl, but this theory...
    Malcuit, R. J., and Winters, R. R., 1995,
Numerical simulation of retrograde gravitational
capture of a satellite by Venus: Implications
for the thermal history of the planet: Abstracts
Volume, 26th Lunar and Planetary Science
Conference, Lunar and Planetary Science
Institute (Houston), p. 829-830.
    ...takes only one satellite and no hits to
achieve the same result.

    See Robert Malcuit's webpage at:
http://www.denison.edu/geology/malcuit/_malcuit.html

    Essentially, his computer simulation/theory is this:
Venus captures a retrograde satellite (like Neptune
does with Triton) early in its life. The retrograde
satellite slows the planet's axial rotation as it spirals
in for about 3.5 billion years. This is the opposite
of what happens with a prograde satellite, which
speeds up the planet and causes the Moon to move
out, like the Earth Moon system.

    When it gets down to a very close orbit, it heats
and melts the crust and some of the mantle, then
breaks up at the Roche limit and pummels the planet,
completely re-surfacing it and de-gassing all the
carbonates to produce the CO2 atmosphere we
see there today. This scenario matches (roughly)
the crater dated age of the Venusian surface (480
million to 560 million years old).

    Malcuit has apparently been running successful
simulations of satellite captures for over twenty
years, including a Venus satellite. He doesn't care
for the "satellite by impact" theory to account for
everything. One reads that "capture" can't happen,
but that may be wrong since he has a successful
computer model of it. I don't know. But, of
course, a giant impact could form a retrograde
satellite instead of a prograde one if it hits just right.
And then everything would follow as above.

    There is lots of evidence of some major impact
event in the inner system about the time Venus gets
re-surfaced. You could certainly call the Fall of a
Moon a major impact! The flux of meteorites to the
Earth increases manyfold for a short time period
around 420 million years ago. All tektites show an
original formation age of 440 +/- 50 million years.
The Earth suffered its worst ice age ever 535-565
million years ago. It also seems to have made some
rapid changes in its obliquity (axial tilt) during that
time (from the weight of the ice).

    In other words, something big was going on
between 420 and 560 million years ago. Not on the
scale of the Late Bombardment, but involving many
substantial objects. Perhaps that event, whatever it
was, created a population of big impactors in the
inner system for the Earth to deal with, like the
Ordovician terminal event ~440 mya, the Permian
terminal event ~250 mya, the Cretaceous terminal
event ~65 mya, not to mention the 3 to 5 major
extinction events in the Cambrian.

    A Moon makes a big mess when it breaks up
and falls to its death. In the gravitational disruption
of a satellite, many objects would escape the planet.
The "leftovers" from such a breakup of a Moon,
though a small percentage of its mass, could be both
numerous and contain some sizeable objects, as big
or bigger than any inner system debris in billions of
years. The size of a (presumed) Permian impactor,
the biggest thing to hit the Earth in 100's of millions
of years, would have been about 30 miles, a tiny tiny
fragment of a Moon!

    And like so many essentially similar ideas, I'll bet
that Alemi and Stevenson never heard of Malcuit
and Winters.

Sterling K. Webb