[meteorite-list] Venus May Have Once Had A Moon

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 12 19:45:56 2006

Hi,

    I don't have a copy of that graph of planetary
angular momentum versus log of planetary mass
(and no way to post it if I did), but you can find
the values for these and many more physical
parameters of the planets at this URL:
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-345/p16.htm
 The document is SP-345: Evolution of the Solar
System by Hannes Alfv?n

    TotAngMo in units of 10^46 gms^2/second:
Mer 0.906
Ven 18.5
Ter 26.7
Mars 3.52
Jup 19400.0
Sat 7840.0
Urn 1700.0
Nep 2500.0
Plu 17.9

    It also gives Specific AngMo (per unit of mass),
and the masses of the planets. I don't know whether
this graph of yours used Total or Specific AngMo,
or if this page gives the combined mass of
Earth-and-Moon, or just the Earth.

    I also stumbled across a (text) reference to a
line plot of AngMo in which all the planets fall on
the line except the Earth/Moon, which is way above
the line, but they didn't show the graph.

    The table in the URL gives other useful but hard
to find data like the moment of inertia of each planet.
About twenty years ago (pre-internet), I was writing
a crude computer program and discovered I HAD to
know the moment of inertia of the Earth (alone) and
could not find the value anywhere.
    I spent three days with my TI-66 calculator and
a stack of books calculating the moment of inertia of
an entire planet from scratch, layer by layer, inner core,
outer core, lower mantle, blah, blah, and ended up
with a value of, oh, well, about 1/3, so I used 0.33 in
the program, with which I happily spent days and weeks
(with a 2 mhz CPU) regressing the orbit of the Moon
back through geologic time by the tidal transfer of
angular momentum between Terra and Luna.
    So, I had a nostalgic warm and fuzzy moment when
I found this table which says the moment of inertia of
the Earth is 0.3335.

    Enough data there to scratch up the graph, if you
want it bad... Plot away! And it will prove...
What was that again?

Sterling K. Webb