[meteorite-list] Venus May Have Once Had A Moon

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 13 07:24:44 2006

Sterling,

Thank you for your "grain of salt" for me to take into consideration when
reviewing Tom's treatise on planetary issues. Yes, a double dose of caution
is needed.

His arguments that gravity has a speed can be convincing at first blush but
one needs to consider the law of conservation of matter. Since matter can't
be created and is always "here" then the gravity associated with this matter
is always here and conserved. No experiment can ever be conducted which
demonstrates a speed of gravity since that would require instantaneous new
mass to be presented to another object. Lift your hand to move some mass in
place will just transfer it along with it's gravitational pull. Yes, I did
some head scratching. Now if mass could be created then perhaps there would
be a lag time before other bodies would feel it's presence but the imbalance
created by this new arrival would surely lead to catastrophe for our
universe. Another Big Bang?

And, his few questions on gravitational speed (Sun-Jupiter orbit, photon
paths, eclipse timing) are not very convincing and can, I believe, be
explained by the warping of space theories. I seriously doubt, though, that
I could argue this with Tom and I am sure he could easily "whop me upside
the head with a metric tensor field fast as can be".

And... how in heck can he have a problem with action at a distance?
Gravity, magnetism and my wife yelling at me to turn down the tunes are all
prime examples of action at a distance. Plus, I don't think our beloved
meteorites would have made it here if it weren't for the earth's action at a
distance on these little fellows. Now this email is meteorite related.

All that said, I think his gravitational arguments are worth considering
because they do reveal how mysterious and fantastic some of our physical
laws really are. Now do I dare read Tom's notes on Lorentzian relativity?

Cheers and Thanks for your fun email and please forgive me if most of what I
just said was a just re-hash of what you tried to tell me.

tett