[meteorite-list] Does world-record meteorite await unearthing inKansas?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 13 13:21:11 2006

Hi, All,

> If the object Arnold found is a meteorite,
> it could be twice as big as the Hoba meteorite

    If an iron (like Hoba) and twice as big (in all
dimensions), it would weigh 518 tons. You could
find that by the gravity anomaly!
    Seriously, that's awfully hefty for a meteorite
main mass, even a clump of fragments. A pallasite
that size would weigh 200 tons or more, still
pretty unlikely.
    Of course, you could have a meteoroid mass
of thousands of tons, but it's the problem of getting
that much mass to the ground in one piece that's
the hang-up.
    The only study I know of the problem of how
big a single meteorite could be says 100 tons for
an iron and 40 tons for a stone is roughly the limit
you could expect to find in one piece.
    Since it's obviously impossible, there's a chance
it will happen! (If you don't think God has a sense
of humor, take a good look at a penguin.)
    I look forward to the discovery of a 216,000
pound pallasite. The market will be in ruin! I expect
the sale of artistic coffee tables made from slabs
of pallasite and pallasite poker chips (to go with
today's meteorite guitar picks).

Sterling K. Webb