[meteorite-list] Tucson 2007 Events

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 13 16:48:06 2006

Dear Listees:

Greetings all. I've been on the road for ages, and while I was away
several friends and colleagues emailed to ask me about Tucson 2007 show
dates, so I thought it would be a good time to post what we have so
far.

As many of you are aware, Michael Blood, Allan Lang, Steve Arnold IMB,
and myself put our heads together each year to try and schedule all the
big meteorite-related events over the same weekend. That way, you
part-timers who only come in for a few days don't miss out on too much
: )

We are planning the 2007 Birthday Bash and Harvey Awards for Friday,
February 2, 2007. Allan Lang and Michael Blood will both be holding
their annual meteorite auctions on that same weekend, and they will
post their own announcements about those events.

We had some problems with the party venue during the '06 show and are
not 100% certain we're going to use it again. Those problems included:

- The manager informed as at about 9:30 pm that children were not
allowed in the venue. Since we'd had children on the premises since
7:30 it would have been helpful to know in advance. I.M.O. a private
party at a private venue is not subject to normal liquor regulations,
but I don't know for sure.

- We had been promised use of the venue until 2 am, but a rather grumpy
manager turned on the lights and made it clear we were expected to
leave at 11:45 pm

- The club was double booked with the Association of Applied
Paleontological Sciences party, but we managed to sort that out with
the help of the good people at AAPS.

Having said that, it *is* a great place for a party, and it's not easy
to find something better during showtime, as most restaurants and clubs
expect to get a hefty "event fee." I would like to receive any
ideas/feedback/suggestion from you revelers on what you think (off-List
please) we should do in terms of keeping the venue and dealing with
those issues, or looking for a new place.

Anyway, Feb. 2 ? 4 is the weekend to be here. If you haven't made your
hotel reservations, get cracking! I know those tents will start going
up in just a few more months.

Geoff N.
Personal Party Planner
Tucson 2007