[meteorite-list] How to tell which iron is which??

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Oct 16 19:17:57 2006

In a message dated 10/16/2006 5:00:05 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
treiman_at_lpi.usra.edu writes:
Hi, meteorite list -

I've got a question for you. I've been approached for help in
liquidation
of an estate (in Texas), which has two iron masses labelled as
meteorites.
But no information on where they came from. Photos attached below.

They look a lot like irons, and I'm comfortable with a Ni test to
tell them
from terrestrial iron.

But -- any suggestions on how to tell which iron meteorite they
might be?
To my untrained eye, they look a lot like Canyon Diablo. Anyone had this
type of question come up before?

Thanks for your help.

Allan

They could be Odessa meteorites.

After all you are in Texas, and so is the collection.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com
President, I.M.C.A. Inc.