[meteorite-list] How to tell which iron is which?? II

From: Allan Treiman <treiman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 18 00:53:20 2006

Hi, List -

    Thanks very much for your suggestions, on and off list, about the
liquidation meteorites that might be CD. I saw the two masses today,
and they definitely are irons, and look a whole lot like Canyon Diablo.
One has a 2" long tubular hole through it! Both have spots of what looks
like caliche. They were wire-brushed and maybe oiled too, so their
surfaces are not quite natural.

     I'm going to do some quick chemical analyses of the rust and
the caliche, and compare them with same from a small sample of
(real) CD here.
     But I don't have any Odessa or Toluca for comparison. Could any
of you spare a bit of rust and sand or caliche off your Odessa or
Toluca?

    Thanks very much.

     Allan

Allan Treiman