[meteorite-list] Further precision re "Bessey Specks"

From: Martin Horejsi <accretiondesk_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 18 14:13:04 2006

Hi All,

I think the real issue behind the Bessey Speck, and as to why the
moniker of "Bessey" should remain attached to such sized samples is
that Dean Bessey, to my knowledge anyway, was the first dealer with
enough gall to mass market almost-microscopic, almost comical,
individual samples of a diverse array of meteorites.

Most of us either gathered up the material until a reasonable amount
(whatever that means) of dust and/or fragments was combined into a
single container and offered for sale. Dean, on the other hand,
separated out and sold the particles INDIVIDUALLY!

And if published documentation of the term "Bessey Speck" is needed,
then look no further then Kevin Kichinka's book:
http://www.theartofcollectingmeteorites.com/

Just my thoughts as one who has been known to sell "Bessey Specks."

Cheers,

Martin