[meteorite-list] No Further "Bessey Specks" PLEASE

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 18 19:36:32 2006

PLEASE let's not do a rehash of days of debate
re "preservation" vs Bessey Specks and the like.
(see archives if you are nostalgic about such an
endless debate).
        A true "Bessey Speck" comes from creating
countless dozens (if not hundreds???) of micro-minies
from a tiny crumb - a crumb that is usually the result
of cutting or breaking a specimen.
        Such a crumb is no more "scientifically valuable"
or identifiable, than the dozens and dozens of tinier
pieces that can come from it and if a child or an adult
with limited means can have a piece of the moon or
Lafayette or Yurtuk or whatever for an affordable
price and take satisfaction from it, then it is inevitable
that such a discussion comes down to pure opinion.
        One person says tomato and the other says tomato
and then two then twenty, bla, bla, quack quack.
        Again - if anyone yearns for a hot debate on this
topic, please go to the archives and read the many, many
dozens if not hundreds of emails devoted to same.
        I would never say this out loud, but the idea of a
repeat of that endless debate is ALMOST as chilling
as the thought of a two or more dealers carrying on
and on and on about this or that.
        They all be ducks if the quack.
        My stinking 2 cents.
        If such a "debate" returns I swear I will do
everything in my power to keep out of it.
        Cringing in California,
        Michael