[meteorite-list] Chondrule formation mechanism (Info Please)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 22 14:39:05 2006

Hi, Ed, Rob,

    This scenario (Ed's) would require that we would
find a chondrule with a formation age of 3.9 Gya, I
think. As far as I know, that has never happened.

    All chondrites (so called because they contain
chondrules) are the same age: "about" 4.555 Gya.
Chondrules are the same age (2 to 5 million years
variation among chondrules) as the chondrites they
occur in. The "about" is because the dating methods
have a limit to how precisely they can resolve
small age differences.

    Dating by lead isotopes says the solar system
is 4.560 +/- 0.005 Gya old. Other systems of isotope
measurements (like 147Sm/143Nd) give 4.553 +/- 0.003,
and so forth. Within the limits of measurement, all
chondrites are the same age, a hair younger than the
solar system itself, the Class of Zero, and so are their
chondrules.

    Meteorites that do not (never did) contain chondrules
have varying ages. Lunaites are the age of that portion
of the lunar crust they came from, generally quite old
compared to Martians which have the "formation age"
of the basalt flow they were chipped off of for the long
haul to Earth. Irons, which formed inside a differentiating
body, have younger ages; some very much younger if
the differentiation took a long time (Weekeroo Station IIe
is 4.340 Gya, Kodaikanal IIe 3.800 Gya, many IAB irons
the same).

    I'm thinking that before you need to develop a theory
to explain a 3.9 Gya chondrule, you'd have to actually
have a 3.9 Gya chondrule. As far as I know, none with
discordant ages have ever been found. In certain solar
circles it would be Big News.

    Oddly, if you Google for "oldest chondrule," you get
the oldest chondrules, and if you Google for "youngest
chondrule," you get the oldest chondrules... on the grounds
that it is "young" as the solar system. If you Google for
"discordant chondrule age," you get arguments over 2 or 3
million years in the age of something 4-1/2 billion years old.

Sterling K. Webb