[meteorite-list] Concerning Big Steve Arnold`s "HOLE" Canyon Diablo

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 25 06:25:17 2006

Dear List,
  It appears to me that the Canyon Diablo with a
"hole", that Steve Arnold purchased, has a hole due to
natural rusting of the meteorite and that the hole was
not caused by entry of the meteorite into the
atmosphere. Something like a rusted steel can, does
it have any special value because it has a rusted
hole?
  I have seen only the photos presented. When iron
meteorites rust they often rust in semi-circular
pockets and the oxide is lost as iron shale.
  It is also feasible that a hole could be made by
purposefully encouraging a hole to grow with water and
time, or with mechanical means. I cannot comment on
this specimen, but I have seen it done on other
meteorites.
  Enjoy your "hole" Steve; it seems you have quite a
collection of them.
Best Always, Dirk...Tokyo