[meteorite-list] Suspect real meteorite(FALL???) from Thailand? being offered on Ebay Buyer Beware!

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 26 15:16:23 2006

Dear Metlist Members, IMCA and Dr. Jeff Grossman,
  The sales ad of this eBay seller does not jibe.
Chiangmai Univ., Thailand does not have any means to
cut rocks or identify mets(especially in 1975-1977).
Also about the rock being"hot" when found by the Lahu
tribes people.....sounds like a scam. Please read the
seller`s description and judge for yourself.

  If a legimate dealer purchases it someone legit will
get it and it may be "laundered" unknowingly and
become an offical "fall"... the Nom Com will be
alerted by myself. Best,Dirk

  I have seen some of Dean`s NWA and other sellers
nice black-crusted-meteorites (I have contacted Dean)
being sold in Thailand; or perhaps this one never made
it to Thailand in the first place? Is it possible
that this is one of them?
Best,Dirk Ross...Tokyo

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-6-KGs-7-8-lbs-Meteorite-found-in-Thailand_W0QQitemZ290041503733QQihZ019QQcategoryZ3239QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

 It is one of my greatest fears that NWA materials
will be sold as something that they are not. Please
note that the bidders are reputable US dealers. drs