[meteorite-list] Big is beatuful - Morasko

From: PolandMET <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 27 11:45:48 2006

Hi
I forgot to say last news.
Actualy main mass of Morasko increased from around 80kg to around 200kg
This year was discovered inside crater a large, single specimen. Specimen
was placed on scale that have limit of 130kg and scale was broken, so
suspicious weight must be around 200kg.

http://republika.pl/jotde/meteoryty/METEORYT.htm
Specimen will be on cover of next Meteoryt magazine, polish edition of
Meteorite magazine.
Last photo on page show this Morasko specimen. Click on it to download short
PDF with magazine cover and first page in full size for better view.

TKW of morasko must be now around 1.5 tons, maybe up to 2 tons. And there
are still specimens in the ground. Who knows what a monster still sit into
these craters. Unfortunatelly, craters are protected and specimen was found
by University members with special permission.

What meteorite is the biggest in europe ? Lets exclude Muonionalusta.
There was found not long time ago silicated iron around 500kg if Im correct.
Anything else big enough?

I only hope they will not get idea about cutting this specimen.
My damn morasko murdered tooday 4 band saws when we tryed to cut 2 slices.
It go nice into 80% of specimen and then bummm, band saw destroyed. New one
was dull in 60 seconds, next one dull and broken. Horror. And finally there
was nothing except some shraibersyte and troilite inclusion.
I have enough for tooday :(

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195