[meteorite-list] Nice meteor video from the Russian site

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Sep 3 22:58:16 2006

Hi,

    Having too much fun. The big Texas meteorite does exist.
It's RED RIVER; most of it is at Yale ("yel'skeyeo university").

"A mass of about 1635lb (741.5kg) and two smaller ones
were found by Pawnee Indians about 1808, north by northwest
of Natchitoches on the Red River in lat. 32?7'N, and long.
95?10'W'; the large mass was brought to New York in 1810
(C.H., 1824). Description, analysis, 8.46 %Ni, B. Silliman
& T.S. Hunt (1846). The place of find cannot be accurately
placed; it is believed to be in Smith County, though Johnson
County, (32.25?N, 97.25?W) is also suggested - it is certainly
a long way from the Red River. Suggested location 33?30'N,
99?30'W; description, shock-hardened, V.F. Buchwald (1975).
Further analysis, 7.70 %Ni, 19.7 ppm.Ga, 38.5 ppm.Ge,
4.4 ppm. Ir, E.R.D Scott et al. (1973)."

    CASAS GRANDES was found in a tomb in Mexico
(no mention of an altar); it's been cut and scattered. No
Mound Builder meteorites in Ohio. One tiny meteoritic
bead in Illinois, though. Hardly an altar stuffed with
meteorites....

    It's probably not fair to make fun of something that's
been Babelfished; that's funny enough. I wouldn't want to
be struck down by a Leonid...

Sterling K. Webb