[meteorite-list] Re: SMART-1 impact

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 4 23:13:39 2006

Hello Rob,

Very nice catch in the 12th inning (frame) there! No one else has mentioned
that in anything we've read until now, why don't you email the ESA project
manager? I don't have a stacking software to subtract out a baseline from
the other frames but I bet you do. By eye it looks like it is on at least
3x4 pixels (probably affecting a 2km x 2km area. That's pretty amazing
(HUGE) after you think about it - 15 seconds later - considering the size of
the craft. Probably gives insight to kinetic energy diffusion, besides a
precise location of the impact...
Wow! That would be the second image :-) as late as 5:42:30.93 UT. I doubt
that the detector recovery would have anything to do with it and it is way
above the noise level. Clear eyes,
Doug