[meteorite-list] Meteorites from the bottom of the ocean Part 1 of 2

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 6 12:08:01 2006

Hello Darren and List,

"I didn't know that there was a meteorite that had been recovered
 from the bottom of the ocean-- are there any others?"

Clarion, H4

Four fragments of about 20 g were recognized as meteoritic among rock
samples collected from the ocean floor near the Clarion fault system. They
are highly weathered and olivine and pyroxene are partly replaced by layered
silicates, olivine Fa 17.6, c.v. 1.5, analysis, N.N. Kononkova, Vernadsky-Institute
of Geochemistry and Analytical Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow,
classification and information, M.I.Petaev, Committee on Meteorites, Russian Academy
of Sciences, U.M.Ulyanovoi 3, Moscow 117313, Russia.

Eltanin, MES

About 25 small basaltic breccia fragments, totalling 100mg in weight, were
recovered from two cores, E13-3 and E13-4, from the SE. Pacific Ocean.
The fragments are associated with Ir-enriched sediments containing impact
melt glasses, F.T. Kyte and D. E. Brownlee, GCA, 1985, 49, p.1095. The
stones are curated at the Antarctic Research Facility, Florida State Univ.