[meteorite-list] Meteorites on the moon

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 8 20:23:55 2006

Mark, List,

  There was an article in either Astronomy or Sky and
Telescope just a few years ago about how Mars would
actually be a GREAT place to find meteorites. I have
to leave now and can't search for it, but I'm sure
some of the members will remember it. The article
essentially stated that the Martian atmosphere was
thick enough to prevent cosmic velocity impacts of
most meteoroids (unlike on the Moon, which results in
vaporization of the impacting body), but not so thick
to cause total atmospheric ablation (unlike on Earth).
The results would be that MANY meteorites would make
it to the surface of Mars. The article even mentioned
the estimated number of meteorites per square
kilometer that should be visible. I can't recall that
number now, but I do remember that it was VERY high.

  Best wishes,
  Robert Woolard