AW: [meteorite-list] scanner and hexahedrite vs camera and hexaedrite

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 11 11:54:58 2006

Thanks a bunch Andi for showing these pics, and I?m very much looking forward to receiving your prepared slice, which will be my very own share of Boguslavka, soon.

Hexahedrites are no easy task for a photographer or a scanner, not even if you discuss a specimen right in front of you, "in person" so to say. I had the great pleasure of meeting Andi a couple of weeks ago in Hamburg and handed him my 34.8 g slice of Guadalupe y Calvo for inspection. I must admit he was more skilled than me to point me to those tiny lines in between an otherwise rather bare polished suface which were not due to scratches or something evil like that, but were in fact: Neumann lines! Quite hidden in this case, but present nonetheless! Sometimes you have to look really closely, and sometimes a photograph or scanner pic won?t do the specimen in front of you justice.

P.S.: sorry Sergey, I had simply overlooked your scale figures at the bottom and left side of your beautiful pic! Nonetheless, some "material scale", a scale cube or a scale stripe or even a pencil or knife or something like this will usually work better with ones "imagination" than just a figure... :-)

Best,
Alex
Berlin/Germany

-------- Original-Nachricht --------