[meteorite-list] porous chondrite - crystals in matrix

From: Phil Morgan <pkmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 12 21:55:37 2006

Hello again,
Let me ask a more direct question.

Admittedly, the pictures aren't very interesting at first glance. But, with
a closer look, I'm hoping you can actually pick out the small crystals
sticking out of the matrix. I've re-read Norton's artice in the May 04
issue of Meteorite magazine and don't find any mention of this phenomenon.
Is this type of think in the matrix of most/all chondrites, just harder to
pick out of most unless in thin section?

I don't believe this piece is very weathered. I've seen very weathered NWA
material where the metal has completely oxidized and the silicates are
breaking down that almost look porous. I don't believe that to be the case
here.

Would these crystals have formed after-the-fact, or accreted along with the
chondrules? What would they be? Some are more transparent and some seem
quite black. I'm very much a newbie at the minerals.

Thanks again,
Phil