[meteorite-list] Smoke Trail

From: G. Nicula <treasurehunter_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 13 23:17:32 2006

> Are any of these resemble what you saw, George?
> And, yes, a fireball trail could produce a
> "fireball shadow," I suppose. It's just that fireballs
> are a lot rarer than jets! Even a 737 or 747 is hardly
> visible as an object at eight miles high (12 miles
> away at an angle); military jets are even smaller
> (and higher and faster).

I would say "Yes", contrail shadows are almost certainly what i've seen.
Some of the images in the Google search give the illusion that the jet was
heading in a dangerous direction. That also indicates to me that as much as
i'd like that darkness to be the falling remnants of ablation, it's more
likely nothing at all. Which it seems is exactly what a shadow is.

Thanks for your feedback,
George Nicula