[meteorite-list] re: Smoke Trail

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 14 02:46:41 2006

> This time the white streak appeared to be heading down to earth at an angle considered foolish for any jet

?? Sorry, but airliner condensation trails can have any apparent angle in the
sky you want. Just a matter of perspective. If you see it apparently going
straight down it only means the airliner had been going directly overhead for
you, moving directly away from you.

The shadow effect you describe is, indeed, a shadow, on a thin cloud layer at a
different altitude than the airliner trail.

I keep being surprised that in these times of heavy aircraft traffic, people
still don't recognize airliner contrails for what they are. Every few months a
video of a "fireball" keeps popping up in news outlets that is just a sunlit
aircraft contrail. Weird.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek