[meteorite-list] re: All Hail Eris and Dysnomia (2003 UB313)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 16 18:00:38 2006

Hi,

Marco said:

> with regard to the repeated statement that Ortiz pulled his website text
> on 2003EL61 etc.: In a case like this... this was only wise of him to do.

    This is where this kind of dispute becomes truly
fascinating. On this side of the Atlantic, for one to
withdraw one's own defence is very, very close to
being an admission of guilt. I have no doubt that if you
commissioned a pollster to ask Americans at random
a suitably phrased quiz designed to probe for this
atitude, the result would be that 70% or 80% would
feel this way. Marco, I assure you, I am not projecting
a mere personal reaction but a common one; I know
the culture I live in.

    It is so alien a response that it would not even occur
to most of the people I've known, if they were wrongfully
accused. Someone might get despondent after a long time
of defending themselves and just quit, but not in just a few
days... months, perhaps. It sheds light on the gossip (and it
is gossip only) that in their one phone conversation, Ortiz
suggested to Brown that they simply share the discovery
credit and that Brown refused, seeing it as "an admission
of guilt."

    Not astronomy, but cultural anthropology might be the
key to understanding what's going on here.

When I said:

>> As to what Ortiz actually did, I do not know the truth of
>> things. And neither do you.

You responded:

> Yet you act as if you do know. You sentence him to be guilty.

This is, as they say, an extreme rendering of the text!
How do I "sentence him" by saying I don't know the
truth? This is not logical of you.

    I said a cloud hangs over the discovery story; that is
a purely descriptive statement of a state of affairs that
does exist.

Sterling K. Webb