[meteorite-list] 2003 EL61, IN PERSON

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 20 03:42:11 2006

Hi, Larry, EP, List,

    What Larry is talking about is what's called the
"rollover point."

    There are more big pieces than giant pieces, more
little pieces than big pieces, more tiny pieces than
little pieces, etc. It's the "Power Law."

    For those that love a little math (but not much), it's
dN/dD ~ D^(-q). In pure theory, q is 3. If you make
D (diameter) ten times bigger, then N (number) is 10^3
or 1000 times bigger. A 100-meter ball has the volume
of 1000 10-meter balls.

    If the mass is evenly distributed in every size range,
then for every 100-meter ball, there ought to 1000 10-meter
balls. But there's a hitch. When you get down to really
tiny sizes, the "numbers" become gigantic, unrealistic.

    So the "law" fails for small sizes by predicting too
damn many. It also fails for the really big sizes because,
like Larry says, they are so good at gobbling up smaller
stuff and smashing up the rest. In addition, the presence
of large objects strongly affects the orbits of little stuff,
pumping them up in eccentricity and inclination until
they're ejected. So, it fails at both ends: not so many
small pieces, fewer medium pieces, and fewer but bigger
pieces at the top end -- that's what occurs in reality.
How do we correct for it?

    Well, the "turnover point" is the size where the numbers
of little pieces go down dramatically because of the
"demolition derby" and ejection. You just don't apply
the "power law" down there. You chop the curve off.
To correct on the big end, you change the coefficient "q"
to steepen the curve, which makes fewer but bigger pieces.
There's even a formula that relates the two factors. Way
back when (for me, the 1960's), somebody whose name
I can't remember now, elegantly proved that in an accreted
disc of objects, the correct coefficient was 3.5 instead of
3.0 if you had selected the "rollover point" by his formula.
And, it seems to work most places where accretion has
run its course completely (the local neighborhood). It
doesn't work for the Asteroid Belt; it never accreted.

    The folks that theorize that the Kuiper Belt is "mass-poor"
say that for the Kuiper Belt, the correct coefficient is 4.0, or
maybe 4.5 (because that produces a depleted Kuiper Belt
with no tiny little pieces and a very limited number of big
ones, just like their theory predicts -- what a coincidence!)
They are saying that the Kuiper Belt is "over-accreted."

    The X-ray occultation result, however, can be matched
to various "power law" curves and it fits best with much
lower "q" coefficients with a lower "rollover point." This,
if true (I'm being so diplomatic here, since I obviously
think it is), suggests that the Kuiper Belt is instead actually
incompletely accreted, which is just what logic of geometry
suggests (as in my "ballroom" analogy).

    The problem is also compounded with another: should
these "extended disc" objects be considered part of the
Kuiper Belt accretion zone (completely accreted or not),
or are they a first glimpse of something totally new and
only partially discovered? As I said, the inner edge of
an Outer Outer System? Does our Sun have a "warped"
disc system?

    For thousands of years, up until 1781, the solar system
ended at Saturn. The thought of looking for more of it
never occured to anybody. When Herschel discovered
Uranus, he wasn't looking for planets. It happened entirely
because of a techological advance: the telescope. In 150
more years, the solar system stretched all the way to Pluto.
After that excitement, planet hunting became a joke again.
Why do human beings always settle back and say, "NOW,
we know it all." It's only been 14 years since we found the
first "TNO." Again, largely due to a substantial improvement
in the technology. We are just now having our eyes opened
wider, again. I don't the process is over. I think it's just
starting.

    One can be sure that if anybody finds something beyond
Neptune that's bigger than Mercury, the whole planet debate
will boil up like crazy. I have no doubt the dynamicists will
demand that the IAU dump Mercury from the Honor Roll of
Planets and assign it to Brian Marsden's care, if that happens...
The Nine, no, Eight, no, SEVEN planets of The Solar System!

Sterling K. Webb