[meteorite-list] COMETS AND CARBONACEOUS CHONDRITES

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 21 23:06:13 2006

Hi, Larry, List, E.P.

    Just another brain-slip; should read 50 degrees C!
Hydration commences as nebular temperatures drop
below 120 degree C. Yeah, that's a warm and cuddly
50 C, not 50 K. Brr... At low pressures that's "steam,"
not "water," down to 160-165 K. after which it's "ice."
Like Mars, no ponds, no rivers, but oddly, the relative
humidity is always 100%. It's so muggy...

    I'm glad it was just a typo; means I don't have
to read chemistry... Normally, hydration means lots
of water, like magnesium sulfate brines on Europa
and Ganymede. Lots of meteorites have hydrated
minerals (amphibole), Martians (Nakhlites) have a
wide variety of hydrated minerals. E-class asteroids
have a spectral feature that has been interpreted as
hydrated minerals. And to modify the old saying,
"Where there's clay, there's water..."

Sterling K. Webb