AW: [meteorite-list] Encyclopedia of Meteorites

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 23 06:16:35 2006

I don't understand this discussion at all.
(o.k. - I know, that some will think, that it's no wonder...).

Pierre did an incredible good job in that short time,
opened up a mighty database, a comfortable tool, for collectors, who don't
want to waste their time, in learning how a computer works, to categorize
and to manage their collections, gives hundreds and thousands of pics, even
a search engine, if one is looking for buy the locales on ebay
and endless webspace for everyone - and all for free!
Compare e.g. what the Metbase costs and there you have also to register.
Those, who thinks, that it is to inconvenient to register and to log in, as
it's common which each silly forum in web,
Well just don't do it.

Weir did a great job, supplies the community with a perfect comprehensive
systematics of meteorites, better than any printed book in circulation,
where you'd had to pay 100 bucks and all always updated.
Again - all for free.
If he wants to keep away the parasites of plagiarism, then it his good and
legitimate right.
If you don't like it, that you can't copy from his page or that you have to
type by hand, just let it be, don't use his page.

Regelman did also a fine job. If you can't live with the rules of the other
places, use his information.

If you don't like these pages, just make it better, invest hundreds and
thousands of hours to built up your own pages.
All 3 did a very remarkable job and they don't ask for their services a
charge! Remember those scientific article data bases, where you have to
register too and in many cases, where you have to pay a fee for each set of
data, you want to watch.

That's some of them want to protect their intellectual property or the data
of their users, there I see no problem.

Cheers!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----