[meteorite-list] Meteorite-wrong pics

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 28 03:17:22 2006

Hi,

    As I understand them, wrecking balls always
have a point of attachment cast into them so they
can be bound to the cable. This appears to be a
simple sphere. As for cannonballs, there have been
no wars on Illinois soil since the Blackhawk War
of 1832 and no cannons were used, only muskets
and a goodly supply of liquor. Earlier, George
Rodgers Clark drug a few small pieces of artillery
with him across Illinois territory but wisely chose
to discharge them upon Vincennes, in what would
later become the State of Indiana.

    Lead and zinc mining was a major industry
in Illinois. In the 1800's, Illinois was the leading
producer of lead amongst all the states. The Sac
and Fox tribe mined lead in NW Illinois prior to
European contact. In 1690, the French explorer
Nicholas Perrot visited those lead mines to establish
trading posts in that area. In 1818, the first permanent
structure in what is now Galena, Illinois, was built. In
the peak year of 1845, the mining district, with Galena
as its hub, produced about 85% of the nation's lead.
It was the fourth busiest port on the Mississippi River.
Ball mills were plentiful.

Sterling K. Webb