[meteorite-list] "Meteoroid Hits the Moon" Article Question

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 30 19:55:02 2006

Technically, "fireball" refers to a bright meteor, which of course can't
happen on the Moon. But any collision that produces a lot of kinetic
energy- which describes most meteoroid impacts on the Moon- is capable
of generating an optical flash as material is vaporized at temperatures
high enough to ionize. Depending on the material and gases produced,
there might be a short period of true burning (that is, combustion via
oxidation), but that isn't necessary to get a flash- what the article
calls a fireball.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory