[meteorite-list] New MAPS issue..interesting articles

From: Mike Jensen <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 19:35:38 -0600

Hi All
Just received my March issue of Meteoritics and Planetary Sciences.
There are actually two very interesting articles in it. The first one
is the cover story "El'gygytgyn impact crater, Russia: Structure,
tectonics, and morphology" here's is the abstract;
http://meteoritics.org/Abst_42-3.htm#Gurov
The next and much more interesting article is titled " Authenticating
the recovery location of meteorites: The case of Castenaso"
It is an article that in a nutshell says the new Italian meteorite
Castenaso (MB web site listing http://tinyurl.com/ypdx3a ) due to
chemical weathering differences from hot deserts and sand grains found
in the weathering cracks is mostly likely a dry desert meteorite. If
you look at the photo included with the article it is very suspicious
indeed. It was originally found by "amateur naturalist" Franco Merighi
and acquired by an observatory in Bologna, Italy. Anyone know him?
I know I'm happy to hear that scientists do have a way now to test to
determine where a meteorite originally came from
http://meteoritics.org/Abst_42-3.htm#Folco
I wonder if there are some "hunters" shaking in their boots right now?
Mike

--
Mike Jensen
Jensen Meteorites