[meteorite-list] Old news reports: true or untrue?

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:28:08 +0100

Robs retired - confirmed!

From: meteorite-list-bounces at meteoritecentral.com
[mailto:meteorite-list-bounces at meteoritecentral.com] On Behalf Of tracy
latimer
Sent: 05 April 2007 02:16
To: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
Subject: [meteorite-list] Old news reports: true or untrue?

I vote for calling it the "Mythbusters" thread. Reports can either be
"confirmed", "plausible", or "busted".

Tracy Latimer

> Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 17:31:16 -0700
> From: bolidechaser at yahoo.com
> To: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
> Subject: [meteorite-list] Buck Mountains 003
>
> We read here on the List of many news-accounts and
> other second-hand stories about meteorites finds and
> suspect falls (i.e., the "NJO" and the Rhode Island
> archeology find, etc.) but we rarely if ever get any
> resolution to these - originally highly publicized,
> and now all but forgotten accounts. This lack of
> finality must be frustrating to those Listees who
> followed closely those events.
>
> Well, here's an old news-account that now has finally
> come to a conclusion.
> Well, it may not have really come to a conclusion, but
> at least this meteorite has a name, Buck Mountains 003
>

> <http://xrl.us/BM003>
>
> And the reason that this may not have come to a
> conclusion is because it's still being debated whether
> this 34kg find is paired to the Palo Verde Mine (L6)!?
> But that's another thread... anyway...
>
> Congrats to Denny Asher on his entry in the MetBull.
>
> -- Bob V.
>
> ----------------------------

<http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com/msg3950
2.html>

> From: "Ron Baalke" <baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov>
> Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:46:58 -0800 (PST)
>
> Subject: Man Finds What Apears to be 75-Pound
> Meteorite in Arizona
>

> http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4108042&nav=HMO6
>
> Man finds what appears to be 75-pound meteorite
> Associated Press
> November 12, 2005
>
> LAKE HAVASU CITY, Ariz. It's not manna from heaven,
> but is likely a meteorite weighing 75 pounds.
>
> Denny Asher of Yucca in northwestern Arizona says the
> discovery is "better than finding a bucket of gold."
>
> He found the rock about two weeks ago near his home.
>
> Asher is a veteran meteorite hunter.
>
> He says the 75-pounder is unlike any of the other
> pieces he's collected.
>
> The collections manager at Arizona State University's
> Center for Meteorite Studies says pictures forwarded
> to her by Asher almost certainly confirm his find is a
> meteorite.
>
> Scientists hope to test the space rock and determine
> its age, chemical composition and the origins of its
> parent asteroid.

  _____

It's tax season, make sure to follow these few simple tips Check it out!
<http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationT
ips.aspx?icid=WLMartagline>