[meteorite-list] Re Nevada picture of the day / April issue of Meteorite-Times

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 21:29:13 -0400

Hi Bob,

>If anything, Sonny is probably making reference to a
>dry lake that we were both hunting (keep in mind this
>was many years ago). We were hunting independently,
>but each know what the other was finding. Since I was
>already given an approved provisional name, I offered
>to get Sonny numbers for his first 10 finds. And out
>of professional courtesy, Sonny supplied me with the
>requisite mass, date of find, and coordinates info.

>But I took too long getting the numbers from NomComm
>and by the time he got his first set of numbers he had
>already made many more finds, so he lost interest in
>this process. And now, years later, we're still
>debating whether this is "a waste of time", or NOT.

I gave you the information for your own records. As for the provisional
numbers I never asked, nor wanted them. Why should I get a number for
every fragment form that location. All or alot of the fragments or
pieces would fit together . This was the same story for most of the
finds.I don't think it is the right thing to do ,getting provisional
for every fragment. But if they were complete meteorites ,that is a
different story! I never lost interest in the process. Every thing that
was found was recorded.

What about getting every meteorite from Franconia numbered, and every
piece a provisional number. If I received a provisional number for
every fragment of meteorites found in Nevada and California it would be
over a thousand. On one California lake I found 50 fragments over a
large area , a thin section was done on a couple pieces. The thin
section showed it was the same meteorite. Why would want numbers for
every fragment?

>Guess I'm just jealous that Sonny gets to do things
>his way, and I'm forced to abide by "guidelines

????????

Sonny

This subject may be Off-Topic given the recent threads
and small percentage of Nevada meteorites that are
represented in our collections, but I wanted to say
something before someone else jumped into this
discussion and got defensive about California Dry
Lakes.

Sonny isn't talking about any one dry lake in
particular (i.e. Coyote) but is talking about the
current numbering convention on all dry lakes in
general.

If anything, Sonny is probably making reference to a
dry lake that we were both hunting (keep in mind this
was many years ago). We were hunting independently,
but each know what the other was finding. Since I was
already given an approved provisional name, I offered
to get Sonny numbers for his first 10 finds. And out
of professional courtesy, Sonny supplied me with the
requisite mass, date of find, and coordinates info.

But I took too long getting the numbers from NomComm
and by the time he got his first set of numbers he had
already made many more finds, so he lost interest in
this process. And now, years later, we're still
debating whether this is "a waste of time", or NOT.

More about this later, but for now all I'll say is
that "I don't make the rules." There are "guidelines"
that the NomComm insists that I abide by, and insists
that I don't invent any numbering scheme of my own:

<http://meteoriticalsociety.org/bulletin/nc-guidelines.htm>

Guess I'm just jealous that Sonny gets to do things
his way, and I'm forced to abide by "guidelines".

Thanks for the info, Sonny, and I'll make the
revisions,
Bob V.

P.S. - The display at the Flandreau Planetarium led me
to believe that Blennert had found this specimen, but
it's very likely that he got it from Sonny.

wahlperry at aol.com wahlperry at aol.com
Fri Apr 6 18:26:41 EDT 2007

Hi Bob ,and List,

With the new Nevada Meteorite, Starvation Flat . I
found 4 meteorites .
With these meteorite, I also found many fragments,
over 100 small pieces . I don't think that I should
get numbers for all of the fragments . That would be a
waste of time. It would be like finding 100 fragments
along a California Dry lake bed and having every piece
classified and numbered.

>"This particular fragment depicted in the above image
was found by John Blennert of Tucson, Arizona. It is
assumed that the above fragment is one of these
original "4 Pieces" called out in Met Bull #91."<

The meteorite in the picture is one of the many
fragments that were found form Starvation #3

>"In the future, should another meteorite fragment be
found in the Starvation Flat area, but not at the same
coordinates as the original find, it would be prudent
to get a provisional number assigned to it most likely
Starvation Flat 002) particularly if there is no
intention to have that find undergo an involved
pairing process."<

The correct number would be 005 ! I think you should
change your post from Nevada Pic of the Day , To
fishing for Nevada Meteorite information of the Day!

Thanks,

Sonny