[meteorite-list] Possible topic - magnetic rake

From: ken newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:36:50 -0400

Steve Dunklee wrote:

> I also try to figure out the path of previous meteorites by reading as
> much as I can about the historical falls in old newspapers.
> As an example when the Paragould meteorite fell it exploded as a
> bolide over southern Missouri according to most papers yet in the
> Salem Arkansas news from the next day a doctor was riding his horse to
> visit a patient when it fell and reported fearing for his life because
> there were stones falling all about him with a whoosh.and a thud as
> the hit the ground.

Hmmm? I need some help because I don't have access to that Salem
article. What do you mean "yet in the Salem Arkansas news from the next
day"? Did you mean the Salem 'fall' happen the following day or was it a
day late in being reported? Reports without meteorites are highly
suspect and likely improbable. Do you think the same meteorite that woke
up the entire town of Paragould at 4:08 a.m (Feb 17, 1930) continued
falling 80 miles NW into the next morning (next day?) or was this doctor
traveling to a patient at 4 am? If so, it's a little strange, don't you
think? So could you provide that newspaper quote or link to help clear
up this time and distance discrepancy? Thanks.

> With the description I figure there should be a major strewn field
> from the Paragould meteorite yet I think I am the only person who has
> bothered to look. And an elderly woman from Viola Arkansas showed me a
> church bulletin where her grandfather had found a crater big enough to
> drive a wagon into which was verified by other church members and they
> dug for hours yet did not find anything. Hence why I think the
> Paragould meteorite was found near Viola Arkansas, snatched up and put
> on a wagon and moved to Paragould. so the finders could claim
> ownership. which explains why only two pieces were found.

A major strewnfield (90 miles min) or a new/different strewnfield, which
one? You've alluded to three different scenarios. Let's see, Viola is
10 miles west of Salem or 90 miles NW of Paragould. If the
strewnfield's center was at Viola instead of Paragould, doesn't that
mean that BOTH pieces would have to be 'snatched up' and then moved 90
miles and planted in 'craters' in Paragould? How do you suppose the
smart Paragould thieves (plural) knew that the meteorites fell 90 miles
to the NW in the middle of the night? Do you see the problems here? So
these very clever thieves not only knew exactly where it fell, but
traveled 90 miles in the dark, dug up both meteorites without being
discovered, traveled back to Paragould, planted the meteorites, and then
convinced the entire town of Paragould to lie about being awoken from
the sonic boom up a 4 am! Yes, No?

Why would you believe this? If your incredible theory was true then that
would mean that towns like Camp (7 mile NE of Salem and 15 miles East of
Viola) would be relatively near the center of this imagined strewnfield.
Wait a minute! Steve, don't you live in Camp, Ark.? What an amazing
coincidence!!! Not only are you the only person 'who bothered' to
discover this remarkable conspiracy, but this ALSO explains how you
could claim to find 'a few' Paragould meteorites in your yard. Remember,
you put one on ebay last year?
http://home.earthlink.net/~ebaywrong/160007670467.pdf

In the previous post on this thread Steve wrote:
"I have also tried a metal detector and have only found a few with one
of them. as an example i can pass a $600 metal detector over a small
paragould slice and not get a peep out of it ,but it easily sticks to
the magnet passed over it."

Now is this 'small paragould slice' one you (or your dog, Trixie) also
found in your yard?

Just a reminder:
http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2006-December/028989.html

Steve, it is probably not a good idea to attribute to the finder(s) of
the Paragould Meteorite(s) anything other than respect without solid proof.

My thoughts,
Ken Newton
IMCA #9632