[meteorite-list] Your meteorite site

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:14:56 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Thank you for your offer of material.
If you had any real involvement in true meteorites you would know that there
are a variety of technical protocols they have to undergo for formal
identification and cataloging - a process that takes a couple of years
sometimes.

We are quite happy in the knowledge that this material is not meteoritic,
they have not been submitted to the correct institutions for analysis, nor
have they been published in any of the recognised papers.

The anecdotes you relay regarding recoveries are totally at odds with
hundreds of years of falls and finds and I can assure you that mineral
phases that you describe occur on Earth too. But you do not find silica!
There is more to meteorites than isotopic analysis, what about presolar
gases, nanodiamonds, kerogens, shock glasses, IMBs and so on.

I am concerned that you have been mis-selling your material and I would like
a complete list of all of the individuals you have been using for analysis
and also the institutions to whom you have been selling it to.

Your tests prove nothing - anyone can crib data and attribute it to their
piece of rock. Have you sent any material to Dr Jeff Grossman, Dr, Monica
Grady, Dr. Sara Russell?

As much as I'd like to continue this discussion, I am afraid that I can see
that, like everyone I have received "meteorites" from, and have had them
resolved as terrestrial material, just do not like to believe their rocks
are "ordinary". I guess it's human nature.

Electron microprobes, XRD and XRF will tell you nothing if you do not
compare it with the real thing, Mag Sus is not an important aspect of
meteorites as their flux density is often changed by terrestrial influences.

Do as you wish, but being a "registered dealer in Meteorites" means
absolutely nothing - but of course, if you have been selling material that
latterly turns out to be fake, then you are responsible for making good.

I wish you luck in your endeavours and thank you for your time to reply.

Dave Harris