[meteorite-list] New information from Nomenclature re: provisional names and numbers

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:24:28 -0400

Dear List,

I am sending this email in response to an ongoing thread regarding
provisional names and numbers for new finds. I hope this puts an end to
the thread. I have contacted the Nomenclature regarding this issue and
received the following response.

>Dear Sonny,
>Thanks for your phone message as well as this email.
> You can look up the committee membership and the rules and guidelines
on the Meteoritical Society website.
>The Committee has no requirements regarding getting provisional
numbers within a fixed time. In fact there is no requirement to get a
provisional >number at all. If you want to just submit a meteorite at
the time it is classified that is fine. Similarly, there is no time
requirement for submitting a >new find. When fragments are clearly
paired it is fine to include them all in the same number.
>I hope this clarifies things.

I hope this will end the harassment from Mr. Bob Verish and Team
Verish. As you can see I have done nothing wrong in the delay of
getting provisonal numbers and names for all of my new finds. I have
chosen to complete field study work before aquiring any provisional
names or numbers.
Below is an excerpt from one of Bob's emails.

>Guess I'm just jealous that Sonny gets to do things
>his way, and I'm forced to abide by "guidelines".

http://www.meteorite-times.com ( Nevada Picture Of The Day) The last 2
months have been focused negativley on my finds.

Thanks,

Sonny