[meteorite-list] New information from Nomenclature re:provisionalnames and

From: Moni Waiblinger <moni2555_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:26:02 -0700

Hi Adam and All,

I just wonder now,
if you make a find in California, what is the rule after that?
Who gets what, BLM or Smithsonian and where would you have it classified?
What have you found out about that?
What kind of permits?
And if you obtain a permit, do you have to tell them exactly what you found?
And are there written laws now one could get from the BLM offices?
Or does each BLM office in California have different rules?

I never even wondered about going out to hunt,
never stepped foot in a BLM office.
I knew the basics that the meteorites really don't belong to me and the
Smithsonian could get them any time they wanted.
But that was never the question, ever.
I wonder why things started changing?
Why all the sudden is the BLM getting so involved?

Thanks, Moni