[meteorite-list] Giving credit where (official) credit is due

From: WAHLPERRY at aol.com <WAHLPERRY_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:08:01 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/2007 12:34:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bolidechaser at yahoo.com writes:

But that's all I'm asking of
Sonny; to get the "credit" he deserves by securing it
with provisional names and numbers.

Otherwise, some other person could make another find
from his "study area" unknowingly, and go ahead of him
with getting that area named and 001 number approved,
and worse, get published before Sonny could get proper
credit.

That's only one of many good reasons,
Bob V.

Hi Bob,

I appreciate your concern. But lets try this one more time! The reason I do
not wish to get a provisional number or name until all of the of the field
work is complete is for this reason. Because of the loop hole you figured out
many years ago! Not to say you that would do this. Example; Lets say a
meteorite hunter has been working an area for a few years with many finds and
received provisional numbers on all of his finds. Another is curious about this
location. All he would have to do is say he found a couple meteorites from that
location and request provisional numbers. The Nomenclature may reply " Ok
Bob,your provisional numbers will be 35 and 36"! Bob never hunted this
location, has just found out that 34 meteorites were recovered from this location.
What a better resource for gaining information regarding a new location.

This is a problem we have to address as a meteorite hunting community. I do
not know the answer. We should come up with an idea on how to solve this
problem. What the current system in place does is give confirmation of first
meteorite found and credit to the finder. Unfortunately it can also be a source
of information to someone digging for data. It is not the fault of the
Nomenclature but a system that is in place. This is the reason I choose to wait on
submitting information.

Sonny