[meteorite-list] Is EBAY bidding fixed?

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 02:05:12 -0500

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:04:05 -0700, you wrote:

> My question still has not seemed to be answered. My concern is about
>someone who bids over and over with no apparent competition. They single
>handedly raise the price from $10.00 to $30.00 to $60.00 to $80.00, etc.....

It is not possible for someone-- with nobody else bidding against him-- to in
any way change the price from the opening price (in a non-reserve auction).
Let's say there is an item with a starting bid of 99 cents. Only one person
bids on it. He could modify his bid 1500 times and the auction price isn't
going to go above 99 cents if nobody is bidding against him. And, even after
the close of the auction, you'll never see what his maximum bid price was, only
what the auction closed at. What you are describing doesn't happen.