[meteorite-list] Is EBAY bidding fixed?

From: valparint at aol.com <valparint_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:38:39 -0700

Greg, can you supply an ebay listing number where this has occurred? It
would help clarify your question.

Ebay introduced a new policy several months ago that does have a very
negative impact on bidding, IMHO. On auctions that go over $200 bidders
can no longer see who they are bidding against. Ebay replaces user IDs
with "bidder 1", "bidder 2", etc. This makes it next to impossible to
detect shill bidding. They justify this with a bunch of crap about
protecting the ebay community.

I found it very useful to know who the competition was for a particular
item and it was educational to look at the bidders won-auction histories.
Sometimes researching this led to new sellers of interest. No more.

I wrote several emails to ebay about this and got the standard party-line
canned-response about how "ebay is protecting the community from
phishing". They didn't bother to respond to my last missile.

When you think about if from ebay's point of view, they are most
interested in keeping sellers happy and driving up prices because that's
how they make money. They pay lip service to bidders by promising honest
auctions and providing a process for dispute resolution but after a
certain point it becomes a money loser for them. Their resolution process
is akin to dealing with the IRS.

As a bidder, you have to know what your top number is and bid it. Doesn't
really matter if you bid it now or bid it later because ebay will adjust
your bid to go only as high as it needs to.

Paul Swartz