[meteorite-list] Sonic Boom in Florida?

From: Leigh Anne DelRay <delraygoddess_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 00:25:27 -0700 (PDT)

I think it is funny that the guy in this article who was panicked and startled had the last name of Panik.
-LA DelRay

Ron Baalke <baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070411/NEWS01/70411023/1006/news01

It had thunder of a sonic boom, resident says
BY DON WALKER
FLORIDA TODAY
April 11, 2007

The explosion was heard miles away.

At Pineda Crossing, near the Suntree subdivision, John Panik said he was
having trouble sleeping, got out of bed and turned on the television
just before 3 a.m.

"I was sitting there and suddenly there was a loud boom," Panik said.
"It shook the windows - not like a big rattle, but a little one. I
thought, 'That's not normal.'"

The clock read 3:30 a.m. Panik called the Brevard County Sheriff's
Office, and was told by dispatcher they'd send a deputy out to check out
the area. He also contacted Patrick Air Force Base, and was told they
didn't know anything about it.

"I thought it was a sonic boom," he said. "That's what I told the
sheriff. Like the shuttle returning, but usually you hear two booms, not
one."

This morning, reports of the explosion were all over the television.

"Everybody freaked out. My wife said, 'Oh, you did hear something,'"
Panik said.

There have also been calls to FLORIDA TODAY from residents in Satellite
Beach who heard the explosion.

This story is developing. If you heard the explosion and would like to
comment, please contact Walker at 242-3527 or e-mail
dwalker at floridatoday.com . Please include name and a phone number.

I hope that helps you out.
Thanks,
Leigh Anne Delray