[meteorite-list] In search of a hammer

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:45:31 -0700

Hi Ed,
        While interesting, such comments can be found in goodly
numbers, however, when trying to pin down the sources of these
statements, one runs into things like, "Going through some
notes from 2003..."
        What notes? Were they notes you took from reading an article,
a book or comments on a web site? If so, what was the date of the
publication, the name of the publication, the author, the name of the
article or book, the title of the Web site, the URL address, etc. Any
and all of these are crucial to any attempt to verify the original
source.
        The description of events sounds terrific, but one immediately
wonders about exactly what "a heavenly body" is within said context.
If it was a meteorite that resulted in multiple deaths, one would think
it would have been kept as an historical artifact. If it was, where and
when is it referred to again? Etc.
        Personally, it find it extremely frustrating to read such
"accounts" when a lack of citations makes further investigation
impossible. It is even more frustrating when the incident related
would be of such significance.
        Of course, this rant is not "aimed" at you - this is a rampant
problem when trying to get the nitty gritty on hammers of an age
at all - and often even with recent falls, such as the Mbale that
struck a boy after going through a banana tree. Fortunately,
someone at least took a photo of him.... but wouldn't it be nice to
know his name? What happened to that particular stone? Did he
throw it away? Did he sell it? If so, in who's collection does it now
reside?
        Some of you might have checked my hammer web page

http://www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com/Hammers.html

If so, you have found that many of the hammers have almost no information,
while others have a significant amount that makes it difficult to put into
one or two paragraphs - even with URL links, etc. The irony is I have spent
much more research time on the items that have very little information than
on those that have a lot. Some of those with very little have ten or twenty
hours (or more) dedicated to each in attempts to find out more about them.
        Anyway, perhaps I should write a second book on "mythical" hammers.
They are certainly far easier to research and many of them are quite
spectacular! It is probably some great character flaw of mine that I get
so frustrated with "dead end" information - and the better it is, the more
frustrated I find myself with the inability to find out more.
        Please excuse, Hammerhead Michael

--
If You Want a Nation Ruled By Religion, Move to Iran